Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Starbucks Blog!

According to stuffwhitepeoplelike.com, my main interests should include Starbucks, blogging, and blogging in Starbucks, so I figured it was time. I've been going to the theatre at least once a week since I came back to school. Right now I'm in the Starbucks on the corner of Broad and Pine with a student rush ticket to Scottsboro Boys at Philadelphia Theatre Company in my wallet. After twelve hours of research and class (but really) and days of worrying about work piling up and projects I figured I should secretly escape to the theatre by myself after class. I'm sitting here with my A Streetcar Named Desire costume in my bag and I'm wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. It's Wednesday and they're nice jeans and the sweatshirt is from A&F (sorry) so I'm almost acceptable. "Lean on Me" is playing in this Starbucks. What is this remix? Someone remind me to upload my freshman year English paper about this song. The worry about class and projects is basically over.
I'm headed to New York soon to visit my friend Devin at Columbia and do other fun New York things. It's been too long since my last visit. Neither Philadelphia or New York are strange to me anymore. I don't have streets or subway maps memorized by any means (especially New York) but I feel comfortable in the checkerboard wind tunnel life style. One of the actors in the show I'm seeing tonight was nominated for his performance in Scottsboro Boys on Broadway. I was in Pippin this summer with one of the other actors. My friend Chris skipped class this morning to see the matinee. I was in the library listening to this guy across from me sneeze like he was blowing a house down.
A taxi just drove by, and suddenly I'm wondering how I'll get home. I just spent all of my money on subway fare (I paid two dollars to go right through because the BSL pulled up just as I put a ten into the coin machine, and I didn't have time to exchange the leprechaun money for tokens) and Starbucks. Though they forgot about my drink, so when I asked they gave me a venti instead of a grande and a card for a free drink. I felt awkward, because it really didn't matter to me if I got my drink late, but I smiled and accepted the extra gifts. I can always pull out money to buy subway tokens, but I wish I didn't have to. My mother and I were talking about how theatre students should get into shows for free. I agree, but at the same time theatres are going through a rough period, and most of the audience is made of up fellow artists now. It would be a great loss of money if students didn't pay. I'm not advocating that student should be paying, because I really don't want to, but I understand why it's not possible to let all of the theatre majors in Philadelphia see shows for free.
I've strayed.
Curtain is in a half hour. I just checked my ticket and I'm front row center. Soon I will be covered in spit from equity actors. My body is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment