Saturday, October 10, 2015

I Wanted Bread

I took another trip to the farmers market this morning because the only food I had left was spinach, frozen peas, turkey patties, and banana peppers (which were the worst purchase because they ruin everything with their spicyness.) One market stand tried to sell me eggs for $7. Are their hens on thrones? Gourmet plush pillows? Why are these eggs $7? Anyway, I didn't buy those eggs. I bought these! Look at them.


I also didn't buy bread for some reason, and when I got home I thought, "Why didn't I buy that?" so my afternoon turned into baking bread alone in the house wearing my cute boots whilst listening to Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's Cheek to Cheek for the first time. This album is wonderful and you should buy it. Back to the bread. I didn't have yeast or patience so I found this recipe and started taking liberties left and right because this is the land of liberty.

The actual recipe calls for whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, rice milk (or any liquid), and liquid fat (oil or something.) So I used generic bleached Kroger flour, baking powder, salt from the grinder sitting on the counter, and cinnamon and sugar as my dry ingredients. I mixed all the wet ingredients in a two cup measuring cup. They were as follows. "Any Liquid": one cup of skim milk because that's all I had and half a cup of watery pumpkin spice coffee I made using grounds from this morning's breakfast. "Oil or something": 1/8 cup of melted Land O' Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil and 1/8 cup of olive oil.


Then I mixed it all together, added more flour so it wasn't sticky, formed it into a ball, and put it in the oven.


And here's how it looked forty minutes later!


A sexy shot of the bread.
The house smells like cinnamon bread. Verity and I tried the cinnamon bread. It tastes like bread with cinnamon. I tried toasting a piece but it fell apart in the toaster, so I think it should be marketed as a pull apart, share with friends, cover in pumpkin spice butter/cream cheese bread. I'm probably going to eat it all in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment