Tuesday, November 17, 2015

I Forgot the Milk

Last time we left off, I put a leaf wreath on that hook on the door. The hook fell off, my guess is because of rain and humidity, so I bought a new hook and did that thing where you fasten a hook upside down to the back of the door and feed ribbon to the front. I didn't have ribbon and I didn't want to ask someone to take me to the craft store, but surely I could find something at Kroger while some of my house mates and I were grocery shopping. I went to the greeting card aisle, and Kroger didn't even have that thin shiny present ribbon (which I could have made work if I had to.) And one of the employees asked if I needed help. "Well-" So I explained what I was trying to do and she said we could check with floral. The floral department was selling an assortment of festive fabric bows. Perfect. I bought the bow and got a free rose! Then I went home to make Martha proud.




I've had this Pumpkin Dream Cake recipe pinned for a while, and when my director posted sign ups for the pumpkin carving potluck in her backyard I instantly knew I was going to use this recipe for cupcakes and add pumpkin spice and cinnamon to the frosting then make fondant and cover the cakes to look like mummies.

"I definitely won't forget baking soda like I did that one time in the Finger Lakes with the biscotti."

"I haven't made cupcakes in so long, I forgot how thick cake batter is! Time to bake."
That was when I began making panicked phone calls to family members because I realized I forgot to add milk.

They turned out fine. Mm. So moist.

Me adding things to the cream cheese frosting. The color is perfect for that rotting flesh look of fresh mummies.

Every time I make fondant I tell myself it's the last time I'm making fondant. Here are pictures of the cupcakes covered in fondant.


They're called nummy mummies (named by Ali Caiazzo.) If you notice, in the back especially, they are shiny mummies. Why are the mummies sweaty? Maybe this is because they sat out for a day wrapped in tinfoil? Someone help me.

I spent a long time thinking about the incredibly complicated design I would carve into my pumpkin to impress my colleagues before I decided on doing swirly eyes and a teethy smile.



In the 90s I had my Halloween costumes lined up for the next 10 years.
The costumes on the list that I can remember:

  • Team Rocket
  • A toy soldier

Maybe one day I'll be those.

This was the year I'd finally go to a live showing of Rocky Horror. On Halloween. Before Halloween I walked by the graveyard #festive to POPS Resale to find pieces.

"I'll make these into gold shorts! Perfect for Rocky Horror. It can't be that hard."

My spooky daytime plans included attending a children's show at work so I needed a second costume. Mac from Foster's Home! I bought a white long sleeve shirt at the Goodwill next to POPS. I needed to make a Bloo for this costume, and I needed to be glitterier for Halloween night, so Michael and I headed out to find supplies at Spirit of Halloween and Claire's.


Michael and I decided to be fancy and go to Greentree Tearoom. Tea is served at noon. The November menu was as follows:

Lobster Bisque
Sweet Potato Scone with Honey Butter & Fayette Cream
Turkey a la Turk (turkey and berry pilaf in fillo) with Cranberry Relish
Cheddar with Caramelized Onion, Curried Egg Salad, & Herbed Carrot Round Tea Sandwiches
Citrus Spice Pannacotta, Chocolate Drop Cookies & Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
Winter Blend Tea

When you arrive at the tea house you have to ring the doorbell. Then you are led in, seated, and served your tea. I want to come back and eat every month's menu.




We had some time off between performances so I visited Matt in Cleveland. He's getting his Master's at CIM. Before seeing him as the count in Le Nozze di Figaro we visited the Lake View Cemetery and saw the Garfield monument. The gravesite has bathrooms. We also went to the North Union Farmers Market and I bought some apple butter to put on everything.


B and the graveside bathrooms

I didn't buy these but look

Look at this beautiful book store. I would have spent hours in Loganberry Books but we went to the lake instead. But first I grabbed a buck eye!





Both of the buildings

Then we visited Lake Erie and Shaker Lakes Park.





She's waiting


Autumn away from home has been incredibly festive. I'm looking forward to heading home this weekend to make my first pie of the season and a feast of apples and pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment