Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I Do Believe In Spooks

As the ghoulish, Saintly, and Dead(ly) celebrations wind down, tech for Oz fires up. I'm not called in until 6 tonight so I'm on the internet reflecting.

Like me, my parents don't possess too many Halloween decorations. Our house is more on the side of subtly spooky. 
Our two favorite ghoulies:

Witchypoo
She is also sometimes called Witchypoo
Now onto subtleties. 
I saw a black twiggy snakey wreath on pinterest and my mom really liked it, so she ordered this 18" Grapevine Wreath by Ashland® from Michaels. It took two small cans of black Krylon to paint the front of the wreath and the additional sticks I picked from the half dead red cedar trees on the edge of the woods in my backyard that I added to make it creepy. Snakes were discussed, but not needed. 


The extra cedar branches I picked made a great backdrop to this newly acquired Dicken's Village house. My Mom Mom collected these houses, and when she moved she offered some of them up, so my mom took Miss Havisham's house. These houses are usually out for a snow covered Christmas scene, but this one is perfect for Ween. Anyway, I purchased a foam block and some Ashland® Value Pack Spanish Moss-24oz from Michaels (at this point the store was decked out for Christmas why America) and went to work. Spooky dead trees are easy. Simply cover the foam block with Spanish moss, either gluing it or wiring it down (I wired it because I couldn't find the hot glue gun,) then stab the branches into the foam. Spray with that leftover Krylon and put it somewhere. 


I'm not really into that thick spiderweb look, so for Halloween I like to either stop cleaning (not an option here) or thinly spread the cotton webs that have been in a bag in the basement since idk. 


This skeleton is a favorite. He came to college with me, but now he hangs out here, like me. My mom and I purchased these pumpkins from Produce Junction on my first of (as of 11/2) four trips to obtain gourds this season, and she arranged them in this cage on a tray. Both of these were purchased at separate Southern Living parties back when I was wearing Quicksilver and people still had Southern Living parties. Skeleton man took his throne and I surrounded the cage with tea candles to give the scene some creepy uplight in the dark. What's great about this kind of Halloween decorating is that when once it's November 3rd we can put Mr. Bones away and it's magically a Thanksgiving decoration. Amazing.



Speaking of transitional decorating I would like to discuss this candle situation. My mom purchased a hurricane vase at a Southern Living party, and at some point this summer she decided to put rocks in it with a green candle. I almost put it all away when we were decorating, but then I thought, "Wait. There must be away to make this creepy." Back when I was gathering sticks for the wreath I cut a few vines "just in case." I had a case. I coiled it into the vase around the candle and put a spider in there. Summer->All Hallows.



Here's something kind of tacky that I did. I clipped some purple and yellow mums from the front yard and put them in this vase that lives inside a Southern Living wrought iron orchid planter votive that was given to me for my First Holy Communion. I covered the votive in some of that cotton spiderweb web. It needed moar. Or did it? I had this gold scorpion that was attached to a gold bead necklace I bought for one of last year's Halloween costumes and I knew I had to sneak it into the flowers. It's creepy because it's tacky but also because why is there a scorpion in there?


A fun alternative to answering the door every two minutes is sitting outside by some fires with wine and candy. 
Always do the best you can.
Southern Living tally: IIII

Also I found the hot glue gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment