Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Live. Work. Play. Visit.


We've hit two cities a week since I last wrote. I've compiled a list of eventful happenings during our time in the South. 

Here are a few notable Jackson, MS things:
The Bulldog is a library-looking kind of bar that serves Purple Haze, which is exciting for those that enjoy (I enjoy sometimes.)
Our venue was surrounded by horses and had a Civil War ghostie and had a volcano under it?


Also at our venue
As soon as I walked into Seattle's Best I was asked, "Are you famous?" Apparently a few stars from Love & Hip Hip were there earlier this week, so now the manager likes to check for fame.
Wonderlust hosted a Harry Potter drag night on September 1st for those that missed the Hogwarts Express/already graduated. The bar was decked out in floating candles and Hogwarts letters.
Leatha’s isn't in Jackson, but it was delivered to the New Stage Theatre where I ate lunch with the staff and met the new apprentice class. I was told to put the port on a King's Hawaiian roll with the home made bar-b-que sauce and coleslaw. I don't like most of these things but today I liked all of these things. I even ate ribs, which I normally don't like, and wow. If you find yourself anywhere near Hattiesburg please go to Leatha's, even if you're vegan just do it.


Leatha's

"Don't walk around after dark."

Dothan, AL is covered in peanuts.


My cast and I bounced, climbed, and tumbled at Axtion. This was my first and not last time at a trampoline park. It had been years (maybe since 2002?) since I climbed a rock wall! 
Bird & Bean Coffee House in its exposed brick glory served up Bird & Bean Mocha (oo) and Caramel Apple Latte (festive) and cookie sandwich with buttercream (yes) and free pound cake (if it's for free it's for me.)


The smallest city block

"It's nice to have you in Birmingham."
My friend Alison came across the Breakup Cookie when she was on tour a few years ago. My first task when I arrived in Birmingham, AL was to run over to Church Street Coffee & Books and taste the salty half-baked good good.


Reed Books sells old books and more.

This is a familiar phrase but I don't know why.
Some Birmingham bars are open twenty four hours, and the way they get away with that is by having everyone sign up to be a member. So I'm a member at Al's on Seventh now. Our first night there included karaoke, and our last evening featured a drag show. Our favorite queen was Cora Blue.
Other bars I recommend are Tin Roof for dancing and big Jenga and Paramount (where I had my first White Russian) for arcade games.
We stumbled upon the city's First Friday street festival. The open air market, live music, and cobbled streets reminded me of Philadelphia's First Fridays.
For eating I recommend Wasabi Juan's Chicken Little Tacos. These are filled with cream cheese, jalapeño, ninja sauce, and sesame seeds. Their salsa is also the best I've tasted. I actually said, "Wow," when I took a scoopful.


Also in this neighborhood is a cute speakeasy called The Marble Ring. Enter through the police call box at Hot Diggity Dogs and enjoy beverages and hot dogs on the porch or in a bathtub.

Birmingham's Rotary Trail and Railroad Park allow you to take in the infrastructure of the iron city while sniffing plants. 
Also, our hotel pool was surrounded by snail friends. I don't see snails often, so I enjoyed this.

"Live. Work. Play. Visit." is the motto of Albany, GA but also this tour.

But where is Rock City?
The streets are filled with turtles but the Turtle Club was nowhere to be found.


Dianne and I visited the Ray Charles memorial by the W Broad Ave Bridge over the Flint River, which flows from Lake Chehaw. The river was filled with clam shells, which was surprising, and was located near a cluster of city museums that weren't open.





The Cookie Shoppe serves a variety of Southern goodness and also cookies. I purchased this sugar free cheese cookie because I was curious. It tasted like the dog biscuit I ate backstage during Bridge to Terabithia, which I also ate because I was curious.


Bandit and the Babe is a cute boutique located in the center of town. It sits on the first floor of an apartment building which has these wonderful hammocks.




This hotel pool had a Giant Water Bug swimming around in it. Hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment