Saturday, September 8, 2018

Bidi Bidi Bom Bom

As we travelled from Waco to Corpus Christi the following phrase rang: “from dirt to ocean.”

My birthday eve began at Water St. Market with a large bowl of spinach artichoke dip I shared with no one, two rolls of vegetarian sushi, and a warm brownie covered with a scoop of vanilla and a candle that Kayla, Quentin, Josh, and I blew out to celebrate our birthday.

Santa Fe still haunts us


We moved over to Hidden Door to celebrate with Selena and big Jenga. We were the only ones dancing in the plywood bar, and that is ok.

Kayla and I share scenes and a birthday.

I spent my birthday watching the sunrise over the Gulf in Corpus Christi. After taking in the nineteenth century architecture of the homes in Heritage Park I went downtown. I've never had dukkah before, but Dianne and I stumbled upon Green Light Coffee Co. where I ate soft toasted bread covered in avocado and dukkah and it was wonderful. I also had a lavender matcha latte and it tasted like my front yard and I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing.




A package from home. All things made in Philly!



A short ride to Northbeach revealed a warm rocky beach. The large grains of sand were accompanied by the tiniest white shells I've ever seen, very warm water, a dead catfish that Emily picked up two times, and seagulls that almost carried Emanuel away. As we conversed on the shore I found myself making a stage out of sand and set pieces out of shells and drift. It's been years since I've done something like this, but I found myself doing it without thinking, and I almost went somewhere. Maybe it's because when I was in elementary school I would spend my birthdays doing the same thing on the coast of the Outer Banks.



A 27 birthday shoot
I watched the sun set at Harrison’s Landing over a Caribbean salad.




Some other important things:



Art in Texas





The Texas leg of our tour has come to an end and the biggest take away I have is actually something I discovered a few years ago that this tour (to rural gay bars) caused me to remember: every floor can be a dance floor if you believe. Bidi bidi bom bom.

No comments:

Post a Comment