Monday, August 6, 2018

Everything's Bigger in Texas Except the Canyon

My time in Amarillo is best described through pictures so here:

Sometimes I would look at these flags and pretend they meant Center City Philadelphia.

Actual candid

I think this was also candid, but who's to say

The Heart of Amarillo had me thinking about Love Park back home

We went looking for a lake, but it dried up so we all did this

This was the beginning of our adventure at  

When I was little my mom brought home this CD titled When The Living is Easy that came free with purchase from William Sonoma and on it was "Route 66." Through the years "get your kicks" meant several different things to me, but I've finally figured it out.



I've had one bite of steak before, so here is a picture of my second bite. 

There are cats
This restaurant seats five hundred people at a time and serves forty kinds of fudge. The inside is filled with stuffed animals, horns, haunted house holograms, and musicians. It's known for its seventy-two ounce steak, which is free if consumed within an hour. My sirloin was eight ounces and that was enough. Dianne dared me to eat half of my jalapeƱo pepper, served along side my steak with a little Texas flag, and I said I would do it if she did as well. A few minutes later a large cup of whole milk arrived to help us with the burn. I didn't realize until after I drank it all that it was meant for us to share.

On our way to Palo Duro Canyon, the second largest canyon in the United States, our Uber driver told us that Amarillo is the second windiest city in the country. The gusts come down from Rockies and power the windmills on the farms throughout town. He told us that everyone in Texas is family, and they will treat us as such, which I found to be very true this week. Palo Duro is also home to the locals' favorite musical TEXAS.









Spanish skirts on the right

I saw this moth in town. 


Esquire Jazz Club uses these as coasters and I don't know how I feel.

Cadillac Ranch

There were gnats


The Polk Street Christmas Tree was created by Jacob Brenden, Chris Guinn, and Michael Wellborn to recognize Amarillo's contribution of gas to the Texas panhandle. 

The Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts reminds me of the Epcot Ball.

Our hotel provided complimentary made-to-order omelets every morning and a wine/beer/well drink/cheese/guac reception every evening. After our three show day the chef presented us with this plate of fancy cheesecake. I had two slices of the baileys.

Other things I would like to note:
Every car has a huge crack in the windshield--suspicious.
Scratch Bakery serves up delicious macarons also free bottomless grapefruit mimosas.


No comments:

Post a Comment