Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Other Desert Cities

On my first full day in Lubbock, TX I went on a pre rehearsal run between highways. From what I saw then and on a map later, there isn't much to do in Lubbock, yet there are many hotels. But why? I also noticed that Texas has different versions of things we have on the East Coast. The rabbits have longer ears, the crows are dainty, and the grass is dead. People sometimes spray the grass shades of green and pretend it's still alive. And then we left Lubbock.

This is the only photo I could get of the jackrabbits.
I got a glimpse of home at the Fire Museum of Texas in Beaumont. I learned that Philly was the first city to have an under ground system to help firefighters extinguish flames and Radnor played a part in the development of chemical extinguishing. Facts from not Philly: fire poles became a thing in 1878 and dalmatians cleared path in the streets for fire trucks and got along with horses which is why most firehouses had them. While waiting for the gift shop to open Dianne and I learned from the chief that Beaumont is building a new multimillion dollar fire house, right now there are twelve.



We made our way over to the Art Museum of Southeast Texas to see an exhibit inspired by Mexican folklore, and we took a look and listen to All of Beethoven's Ninth (a painting and also the symphony.)



Our ride home was one of the first for our Uber driver. He and his wife (hey fam) told us about their adopted daughter they picked up on the street after seeing her thrown out by her family at age two. She's five now and has a yellow pet snake.

I took my first trip to Buc-ee's in Wharton and that was interesting.

(Photo from Fort Worth Buc-ee's)
It was at least 100º in McAllen every day. I wasted time in Barnes & Noble one afternoon and heard the following:
Mother to her 5 year old: Look, David, it's a book about you. It's called Assholes.
After hearing about Aretha Franklin's passing we all went to PBD’s to dance to her music. I held down the floor for the first few hours, and then we were all presented with roses purchased by a man in green at the bar. The drag show was after midnight, and the queens received most of our roses.

I pretended I was in LA for a second and I don't know if I liked it also it was 102º.
One of the most striking exhibits at the International Museum of Art and Science was  Nancy Moyer's statement necklaces. They featured photos and sculptures of people in cages, the police, the president, and everything border issues. I also so some Picasso lithographs. It's been a while since I've seen his non-cubism work. Max Vityk collection "The Outcrops" featured 3D abstrations of Earth’s crust millions of years ago.

I am v aware that my name is Steve and I work for Nickelodeon.


At The Patio on Guerra guacamole is referred to as "South Texas Butter" so.

Of course I went to Magnolia Market at the Silos in Waco. After analyzing the long list of cupcakes, cookies, and pastries I decided to eat the lemon lavender cupcake. There was at least a quarter cup of lemon buttercream icing on top, which I found incredibly ideal. Aubrey, one of the employees who discussed my parents' upcoming kitchen renovation with me, said that Joanna is home with the new born, but Chip is often in his office above the market and sometimes comes down. I kept an eye out but did not see him. The gardens were rusty and wonderful, and I'm inspired to design the house I won't have until 2028.




Other Texas things: diet Dr. Pepper is a big thing in this state. There's a Dr. Pepper museum in Waco that I did not visit.

During our opening in Waco I looked to the back of the arena and saw the silhouette of Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

No comments:

Post a Comment