Monday, October 8, 2018

There's Only One Ghost in the Holy City


Our Charleston weekend started with performances and surprise tequila at Dudley's. Patti O'Furniture led a dance contest, which our friend won in a split.

I explored Charleston for an evening two years ago, and I was excited to come back and touch all the familiar things but also touch new things. Charleston’s tour guides are monarch butterflies. Follow them through the most beautiful streets in America.


Doing The Charleston in Charleston
Upon our friend Pen's recommendation we lunched at Brown Dog Deli, “where it’s cool to drool.”


I was most excited to stop into Savannah's Candy Kitchen to eat praline samples. These were my first (and still favorite) pralines. Savannah's served Dianne her first pralines, too! We ended up going here for praline samples two times during our excursion. The second time I tasted their praline ice cream. Savannah's serves a vanilla ice cream mixture called the Charleston Concoction: vanilla cream with every topping in the store mixed it. I looked but did not touch. Speaking of Savannah, Byrd’s Famous Cookies, a sweet shop based in Savannah, has a location in Charleston. I tried Georgia Peach, which is described as “southern, sweet & tart just like Scarlett” (award winning) and Scotch Oatmeal (also award winning), which was the company's first cookie ninety-four years ago. This paragraph was low key about Savannah's influence on Charleston but high key about me eating.


Outside the old location of The Boutique

Jantzen Lock & Safe







Race ducks at Bubba Gump


Charleston has a bike share company! I love this color and style.



Charleston is historically a major port city, and has been subject to naval attacks from a number of European countries, all of which brought their own religions. The towns infrastructure was largely made up of steeples and houses of worship, which is how the city got its tagline: The Holy City.


The Dock Street Theatre is all types of old and beautiful. It's one of those spaces that gives you a feeling, like Disney World or Mom Mom and Pop Pop's basement. I was too busy looking at things to take pictures, but you can get a 360ยบ view of the house on the theatre's website. Dianne would like me to note publicly that upon our exit out of the Dock Street Theatre we were offered bathrooms. This is something that never happens in cities.

This is the only picture I took at the theatre. I'd like to note that the theatre is kept very well and this is just a piece of windowsill outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment